History of LMS 10000

British Rail Class D16/1

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the  
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;

British Railways Class D16/1 or 10000 and 10001 were the first mainline diesel locomotives in Great Britain. They were

 built by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at its Derby Works, using the EE16SVT 1600 hp diesel engine with 

electric transmission, in association with English Electric and the Vulcan Foundry, with whom the LMS had had a long 

working relationship.



]Early years

LMS 10000 was officially presented to the press at Derby Works in December 1947,[1] having had its maiden run in 

November 1947, after several weeks of proving trials entered service on the Midland route in February 1948. 10000 was 

outshopped only two months before nationalisation, and when 10001 appeared in July 1948 it had British Railways livery. 

They operated over a number of routes out of St Pancras or Euston but their low power outputs meant they were less than

 inspiring when used on heavily loaded or express services.



Trials

In March 1953 they were both transferred to the Southern Region of British Railwaysto allow direct comparison to be made 

between them and the SR's 10201, 10202 & 10203 and remained there until spring 1955. They (and the SR locomotives) 

were sent to Derby where they were overhauled and received green livery and then ran side by side on London Midland 

Region duties.

Trials of both types proved interesting, with the Southern Railway locomotives developing into the English Electric Type 4 

design for British Railways (later British Rail Class 40).


Withdrawals

Both locos were allocated to Willesden. 10001 was withdrawn in 1966 and scrapped at Cox & Danks, North Acton, in 

February 1968. 10000 was withdrawn in 1963 and scrapped at Cashmores, Great Bridge, in January 1968.[citation needed]


Subpages (1): timeline
Comments